Common law is a body of law created judges through their decisions in cases. It is often contrasted with statutory law, which is law created legislatures. Common law is the primary source of law in many common law jurisdictions, including the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada.
Common law is based on the principle of stare https://westerlaw.org/ decisis, which means “to stand things decided.” This principle means that judges are generally bound the decisions of previous judges in similar cases. Stare decisis helps to ensure that the law is applied consistently and fairly.
Common law is a dynamic system of law that is constantly evolving. As society changes, judges adapt the law to reflect those changes. For example, judges have created new common law doctrines to deal with new technologies, such as the internet.
Common law is an important part of the legal system because it provides a framework for resolving disputes and protecting people’s rights. It is also important because it promotes flexibility and adaptability in the law.
Here are a few examples of common law doctrines:
- Negligence: Negligence is a legal doctrine that holds people liable for injuries that they cause to others due to their carelessness.
- Contract law: Contract law is a body of law that governs the formation and enforcement of contracts.
- Tort law: Tort law is a body of law that governs civil wrongs, such as negligence, assault, and battery.
Common law can be enforced in a variety of ways, including through civil lawsuits and administrative proceedings. When a court is interpreting common law, it will typically look at the decisions of previous judges in similar cases.
Tips for understanding and complying with common law
Here are a few tips for understanding and complying with common law:
- Read the cases that have been decided courts in your jurisdiction. This will help you to understand how the law has been applied in similar cases.
- Consult legal treatises and other resources to learn about common law doctrines.
- If you are unsure about how to comply with common law, consult with an attorney. An attorney can help you to understand the law and advise you on how to comply with it.
Common law is an important part of the legal system. It provides a framework for resolving disputes and protecting people’s rights. It is also important because it promotes flexibility and adaptability in the law. If you have any questions about common law, be sure to consult with an attorney.